American Express Cobalt® Credit Card review 2023Welcome Offer:
Earn up to 30,000 Membership Rewards® points*
• Earn 5x the points on eligible eats and drinks in Canada, including groceries and food delivery
• Access Front Of The Line® Presale & Reserved Tickets to some of your favourite concerts and theatre performances and special offers and events curated for Cardmembers with American Express® Experiences.
American Express Cobalt® Card Income Requirements
Many American Express credit cards have income range requirement to be eligible for the card however the Amex Cobalt Card doesn’t have a specific income requirement which mean that you could be approved for this credit card if you meet the requirements below:
Credit score of 670+
You must be the age of majority.
Canadian resident with a Canadian credit file.
- Priority airport services No
- Airport lounge access No
- Concierge service No
- Balance protection(Optional) No
- Purchase Security & Extended Protection Insurance Yes
- Flight delay insurance,Baggage Insurance Yes
- Vehicle rental insurance Yes
- Travel accident insurance Yes
- Travel medical insurance Yes
- Annual Fee: $155.88
- Additional Card Fee: $0
- Purchases Interest Rate: 20.99%
- Cash Advance Interest Rate: 21.99%
- You're a Canadian resident
- You've reached the age of majority in your province or territory
It opens the door to memorable experiences we think you'll love!
- Front Of The Line® E-Updates
- Special Offers & Experiences for all Cardmembers
- Special Access for all Cardmembers
The Hotel Collection from American Express
American Express Cobalt® cardmembers will receive access to the following benefits at over 600 participating hotels and resorts in over 30 countries worldwide, when booking a minimum of two consecutive nights online with American Express Travel using their Basic American Express® Card
- Up to a $100 USD hotel credit on qualifying hotel amenities charged to the room, such as dining, spa, golf or other hotel facilities. It cannot be used against the room rate, taxes, or any fees. Other restrictions may also apply depending on the property.
- Complimentary room upgrade at check-in, when available.
Free Additional Cards
Earn more rewards by adding a supplementary cardholder at no additional cost
Amex Cobalt’s Travel Coverage
Whether you’re backpacking overseas or shopping around the corner, your American Express Cobalt Card comes with travel & shopping related benefits that can keep you covered.
- Out of Province/Country Emergency Medical Insurance (For under age 65)
- Flight Delay Insurance
- Baggage Delay Insurance
- Hotel Burglary Insurance
- Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance
- Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance
- $250,000 Travel Accident Insurance
Amex Cobalt Purchase Coverage
- Purchase Protection® Plan
- Buyer’s Assurance® Protection Plan
The American Express Cobalt® Card started out as a credit card designed for millennials and young professionals. Today, it’s one of the most flexible and versatile credit cards out there. In fact, it’s now commonly used by people from all walks of life because of the lucrative benefits.
One reason the American Express Cobalt® Card is so popular is because of the quick rewards that come with it. Points can be earned on everyday purchases which is what makes the earnings accumulate so rapidly. On food and drinks, such as grocery, restaurant, food delivery, bar and cafe purchases, cardholders earn five points per dollar spent.
On transit and travel, cardholders earn two points per dollar spent. These rewards are not limited to vacation only, cardholders will earn points when they spend on public transit, taxis and Ubers too. All other purchases earn one point per dollar spent. As you can see, no matter what your lifestyle is, you’ll quickly rack up points!
Points can be redeemed to cover the cost of flights and accommodation with 1,000 points being equivalent to $10. Flights don’t have any blackout dates and you can choose any airline you’d like. In addition, the points can be used to cover fees and taxes. If you don’t have an upcoming trip, you can also spend your points on events through Ticketmaster at a rate of 2,000 points to $20. As you probably noticed, the rate of return is the same when you spend on travel and events which is fantastic! For less bang for your buck, you can also use your points for gift cards or merchandise purchases.
Cardholders benefit from travel insurance as well. The insurance covers things like travel accidents, car rental insurance, medical emergencies, flight interruption or delay among others. Last but not least, cardholders gain access to American Express Invites which are limited offer, exclusive events.
All of these benefits sound amazing but there’s a cost for all the wonderful benefits. There’s a monthly fee of $12.99, which works out to be $155.88 per year. The monthly payment makes it easy for most to manage. Also, you need to make between $60,000 and $80,000 per year and have decent credit. The only disadvantage is the cap rate on the bonus points is 30,000. Another downside to this bonus is the points can’t be redeemed in a lump sum. This means there is a delay between when you earn the points and when you can redeem them.
That being said, the American Express Cobalt® Card is still an excellent option for those who travel a lot and make lots of eligible purchases.
If everything about this card sounds good to you, sign up today and receive an extra 2,500 points each month you spend $500 or more, an achievable spending rate for most! You can earn up to 30,000 Membership Rewards® points.
Up to 30,000 Welcome Bonus – This offer is only available to new American Express Cobalt Cardmembers. For current or former American Express Cobalt Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the Membership Rewards points offers available in the first 12 months of Card Membership. Offer subject to change. To qualify, you must have at least $500 in net purchases posted to your account by the last day of each billing period. Purchases made during a billing period but posted after the end of that billing period may not count towards eligible spend for that month. If this occurs, that purchase will count towards eligible spend for the next billing period. For example, if your monthly billing period is from Aug 15 to Sept 14, a purchase made on Sept 14th (transaction date) and posts on Sept 15th (posting date) may not count for eligible spend for that month. In this case, that purchase will count towards spend in the next month’s billing period. If the Aug 15 to Sept 14 period was your 12th monthly billing period, then the purchase made on Sept 14 and posting on Sept 15 would not count toward this offer. Account must be in good standing. Please allow up to eight weeks for your bonus points to be awarded.
- This offer is only available to new American Express Cobalt Cardmembers. For current or former American Express Cobalt Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the Membership Rewards points offers available in the first 12 months of Cardmembership. Offer subject to change. To qualify, you must have at least $500 in net purchases posted to your account by the last day of each billing period. Purchases made during a billing period but posted after the end of that billing period may not count towards eligible spend for that month. If this occurs, that purchase will count towards eligible spend for the next billing period. For example, if your monthly billing period is from Aug 15 to Sept 14, a purchase made on Sept 14th (transaction date) and posts on Sept 15th (posting date) may not count for eligible spend for that month. In this case, that purchase will count towards spend in the next month's billing period. If the Aug 15 to Sept 14 period was your 12th monthly billing period, then the purchase made on Sept 14 and posting on Sept 15 would not count toward this offer. Account must be in good standing. Please allow up to eight weeks for your bonus points to be awarded.
- Fixed Points Travel Program - You can redeem a fixed number of points to cover the base ticket price of eligible flights up to the applicable maximum base ticket price. The base ticket price (often referred to by airlines as the base fare) excludes taxes, fees and carrier surcharges. You will be charged for these additional costs and any dollar amount that exceeds the applicable maximum base ticket price. The Fixed Points Travel Program applies to airfares offered through American Express Travel Services Canada or on americanexpress.ca/travel. When you redeem points for an eligible flight, the full cost of the flight, including taxes, fees and carrier surcharges will be charged to your Card upon booking. Within 5-10 business days from the date of booking, you will receive a statement credit for the base ticket price up to the applicable maximum base ticket price. If your statement monthly cycle cut date falls between the date the transaction is recorded on your statement and the date the statement credit is processed, you will be responsible for paying your monthly statement in full. The statement credit will be applied against your next statement. Full terms and conditions for the Fixed Points Travel Program can be found at'americanexpress.ca/fixedpointstravel.
To use your MR Points to purchase eligible items at Amazon.ca, your eligible Membership Rewards program account ('MR Points Account') must be linked to your Amazon.ca account through the enrollment process. We reserve the right to restrict your use of Shop with Points or to un-enroll your MR Points Account by de-linking it from your Amazon.ca account at any time in our sole discretion, including when we suspect misuse or fraud.
You agree that Amazon.com.ca, Inc. and its affiliates (collectively, 'Amazon') may share information that you have provided to Amazon with Amex Bank of Canada and its affiliates (collectively, 'Amex'). Amex may share information with Amazon regarding your Membership Rewards points account for the sole purpose of managing and facilitating the Shop with Points program using membership rewards points. This information sharing allows us to link your Amazon.ca account to your MR Points Account and, once enrolled, Amex may provide Amazon with information about your MR Points Account, including your total MR Points balance. We may also share information that you have provided to Amazon with Amex so that Amex can perform its functions with respect to the Shop with Points program, including processing payments made with MR Points. Neither Amazon or Amex will use information provided to it by the other party in support of the Shop with Points program for any purpose other than as expressly set forth in this paragraph.
Certain items at Amazon.ca are not eligible for purchase using MR Points, and these items may change at any time. MR Points may not be used when making purchases with 1-Click. If you do not have enough MR Points to pay for your eligible purchase, you can pay for the remainder with the Amex credit or charge card linked to your MR Points Account, or an Amazon.ca Gift Certificate. Your MR Points balance will typically be reduced to reflect the amount of your purchase at the time of your order, but in some cases it may not reflect your use of MR Points for pending purchase transactions until the purchase has shipped or otherwise been fulfilled. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have enough MR Points in your MR Points Account at the time your MR Points are ultimately redeemed. If you don't have enough MR points remaining in your MR Points account at the time they are to be redeemed, you will be required to authorize another payment method. Your Amex credit or charge card will not be charged automatically. MR Points may not currently be combined with other rewards programs to make eligible purchases using Shop with Points at Amazon.ca.
Returns are subject to Amazon's returns policy. If Amazon accepts a return for an item you purchased using only MR Points, those MR Points will be credited to your Points Account. If Amazon accepts a return for an item you purchased using MR Points and another payment method, Amazon may, in its sole discretion, credit the return to the other payment method before crediting MR Points to your MR Points Account. This is different from the order in which payment methods (MR points, Amex credit and charge card and stored value card) are applied at the time of purchase. See ordering section of the FAQ for details. If you no longer have an active MR points account or, if applicable, Amex credit or charge card, Amazon may process your return by providing you with an Amazon gift card. If you have questions regarding your Points or your Points Account, please contact American Express on the number listed on the back of your Card.
- Use Points for Purchases - You can redeem Membership Rewards points for a statement credit towards an Eligible Purchase charged to an Eligible Card. You must redeem a minimum of 1,000 Points per redemption. Redemption rates may vary by Eligible Card. Statement credits on your Card Account should not exceed the aggregate amount of the Eligible Purchase(s) on your Eligible Card. If an otherwise Eligible Purchase participates in the American Express Installment Program, only the amount billed each month will be counted as an Eligible Purchase. You can register for online services to view your Eligible Purchases and to redeem online. Only Eligible Purchases posted to your Card Account during the last 3 months, up to 150 most recent Eligible Purchases will be displayed for redemption. If you wish to redeem points towards an Eligible Purchase within the last 12 months that is not displayed online, please contact us at the number listed on the back of your Card. Eligible Travel Purchases: 1000 points= $10 statement credit. All other eligible purchases: 1000 points=$7 statement credit.
- To redeem your points on Ticketmaster.ca, you can redeem 2,000 Membership Rewards Points is equal to $20 in Ticketmaster Credit. To qualify:
- You must charge your purchase to an eligible American Express Card enrolled in the Canadian Membership Rewards program.
- Your American Express Card account(s) must be in good standing.
- You must have available the minimum number of Membership Rewards points indicated to redeem for this purchase.
- Your American Express Card account will be charged for that day's purchase. If you qualify, American Express will debit Membership Rewards points from your program account and issue a credit for the corresponding dollar amount to the Card account charged for your ticket purchase. Credits may not appear during the same billing period as the charge for your ticket purchase. If the points redeemed do not cover the entire amount of the charge for your ticket purchase, the charge for the balance of the purchase will remain on your Card account. Ticket purchases failing to qualify for Membership Rewards point redemption will remain charged to your American Express Card account and are subject to the venue's and Ticketmaster's no refund/no exchange policy.
- Permitted returns of Ticketmaster tickets that result in a credit on your Card account will not automatically result in a credit to your Membership Rewards account. In order to receive a Membership Rewards credit, please call the number on the back of your Card.
- If you use an eligible American Express Credit Card, please note that a Membership Rewards redemption credit to your Card account is not considered a payment. You must still make a separate payment in accordance with your Cardmember Agreement.
- Flexible Points Travel Program - Membership Rewards points are accepted as payment for a wide range of travel options through American Express Travel Services. Membership Rewards points can be used to pay for new travel purchases, including taxes and surcharges. Membership Rewards points are not refundable. Membership Rewards points have no cash value. Travel selections are based on available space and are subject to terms and conditions of travel suppliers. For car rental companies and hotels that do not accept prepaid bookings, contact American Express Travel Services at 1-800-611-1100 or (416) 868-4992 for details about how you can use your Membership Rewards points. In order to redeem points for any travel booking, the Membership Rewards Program account must be active and the Card must be in good standing.
If a transaction is eligible for participation in the American Express Installment Program and you also redeem points for that transaction, the Installment Program will take precedence and the credit will apply to your account in the regular course. This could result in you having a credit balance on your account. If you want to reduce the credit balance you can remove the transaction from the Installment Program. See Installment Program terms and conditions for details.
Bookings are also subject to American Express Travel Terms and Conditions. To view these please visit americanexpress.ca/termsandconditions.
- Front Of The Line'- Purchase must be charged in full to an American Express Card. Subject to availability and to event and ticketing terms, restrictions, verification procedures and fees. Tickets and packages may not be transferable and should not be resold. No refunds and no exchanges subject to merchant's obligations under applicable law.
- Subject to capacity. Admittance granted with an American Express Card. Beverages will be for purchase. Must be 19 years of age or older to have alcohol and must have a valid ID. Please drink responsibly.
- Various offers will be available to Cobalt Cardmembers from time to time. These offers will be communicated by email and other select channels. Conditions apply and vary by offer.
- Account must be in good standing. An additional card is a supplementary card. No annual fee for supplementary cards. Supplementary Cardmembers must be at least 13 years old. Maximum of 9 supplementary cards per account.
- Underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada.
- Underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada. Coverage is in effect as long as you have fully charged your rental to your American Express Cobalt Card. There are specific conditions that apply to who may rent and drive the rental vehicle, the length of rental(s) and the type of vehicle covered.
- Travel Accident Insurance provides automatic coverage of up to $250,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance when you fully charge your common carrier (plane, train, ship or bus) tickets to your American Express Cobalt Card. Use the Card to book tickets for your spouse, dependent children (under 23) or any Supplementary Cardmember and they will also be covered. Spouse and dependent children (under 23) of Supplementary Cardmembers are also covered. Travel Accident Insurance is Underwritten by Chubb Life Insurance Company of Canada, Head Office in Canada: Toronto, Ontario, under Master Policy TMH600135.
- Underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada. Coverage is in excess of any and all other applicable insurance.
- When you charge the full price on eligible purchases to your American Express Cobalt Card, the coverage given under the manufacturer's original warranty is automatically doubled for up to one additional year. Buyer's Assurance Protection Plan is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada.
- Fraud Protection Guarantee - Use the American Express Card online or off, and you won't be held responsible for any fraudulent charges, as long as you've taken reasonable care to protect your account details and PIN. Notify us at once if your Card is lost or stolen, or you suspect it is being used without your permission.
- All references to you means the Basic Cardmember.
- Your account must be in good standing. If this is a personal or family referral, you agree to only make recommendations to known friends and family members with whom you have a relationship and who have confirmed to you that they want to receive this communication. If this is a referral in the context of your business, you agree to only make recommendations to business contacts whom you know and have consented to receive this recommendation from you. You must not send recommendations to people you do not know. Whenever you reach out to a potential referral, you will only use content we provide. Any additional statements you make cannot be inconsistent with our content and must be truthful, accurate and not misleading. You should not publish or distribute your referral link in locations where the audience is likely to include individuals with whom you do not have a business, personal or family relationship or who may not be interested in the offer. You can only receive a maximum referral bonus of 75,000 points per calendar year for approved referrals, which includes eligible referral bonus amounts from both (i) special or limited time referral offers and (ii) regular referral offers in that same calendar year. Bonus point maximums may change at any time and if you change card products. Should the referral bonus amount change during the calendar year, you may receive a partial bonus depending on the available maximum bonus points. You are not eligible to receive this referral bonus offer if you have already reached your maximum annual referral bonus limit. The referral bonus will be awarded to you based on each eligible referral for which American Express receives an application that is subsequently approved, subject to all applicable terms and conditions. Your referral bonus will be awarded in the calendar year in which the eligible referral application is approved and not when the referral application is received. Due to the confidential nature of the approval process, you will not be notified when applications are approved or declined and any individual you have referred must agree to allow your account to be bonused upon approval or you will not receive the referral bonus. If our records indicate that any person you have referred has opted not to receive e-mails from us, your referral will not be sent and you will not receive the referral bonus offered as part of this program. Referral program varies by product and may be modified, suspended, cancelled or otherwise terminated without notice. Cannot be combined with any other offer. If the people that you refer have already applied for the product that you are referring without participating in this program, neither you nor they will be eligible for any referral bonus that may be offered as part of this program. Likewise, if the people you refer decide to apply for a Card through this referral program other than the one you have specifically recommended, the referral bonus for which you and they may be eligible will vary. You will only use the delivery methods we provide. By participating in the referral program, you are requesting that emails be sent on your behalf to individuals with whom you have a business, personal or family relationship. Any violation or abuse of this referral program including, sending emails to individuals with whom you have no business, personal or family relationship, efforts to bypass, manipulate, obscure or otherwise modify the delivery and accurate presentation of the referral link, sharing tools, content, disclosures, instructions or other materials we provide will be considered a breach of these Terms and make you ineligible for any referral bonus and/or result in your termination from the program. Referral program participants should allow 8 to 10 weeks for the award of the referral bonus once program criteria have been met and must be enrolled in the corresponding loyalty program (if applicable) when the referral bonus is awarded. American Express reserves the right to limit, cancel, or revoke a referral or welcome bonus if it determines, in its sole discretion, you have violated these Terms. All products and services are subject to applicable Terms and Conditions.
- Valid at participating hotels for bookings of at least two consecutive nights booked online through'americanexpress.ca/travel'or'americanexpress.ca/thc'. Available to Basic Cobalt Cardmembers. Supplementary Cobalt Cardmembers are not eligible for The Hotel Collection program. Payment must be made in full with an eligible American Express Card in the American Express Cobalt Basic Cardmember's name at time of checkout. The Cobalt Cardmember must travel on the itinerary booked. A one category room upgrade is based on availability and eligibility at check-in to the hotel. The Cardmember can receive a hotel credit upon checkout of up to $100 USD based on qualifying charges charged to the room excluding charges for cost of room, taxes, gratuities and fees. The $100 USD credit is non-refundable, and is not redeemable or exchangeable by the Eligible Cardmember for cash. Additional exclusions based on specific hotel restrictions may also apply (including without limitation, purchases within the hotel that are unaffiliated and/or owned by third parties) - see hotel front desk for details. Credit cannot be carried over to another stay and expires at check-out. Credit is applied in USD or equivalent in local currency based on exchange rate on day of check-out. May not be combined with other offers or programs unless indicated. Limit one credit per room, per stay. Three-room limit per Cardmember per stay; back-to-back stays within a 24-hour period at the same property considered one stay. Participating hotels and benefits subject to change.
All insurance coverage is subject to the terms and conditions of the respective master policies. Certain limitations, exclusions and restrictions apply. Please read your Certificates of Insurance carefully.
,TM: Used by Amex Bank of Canada under license from American Express.