Review of Marriott BonvoyTM American Express®
WELCOME BONUS OFFER
• Plus, earn a total of 5 points for every $1 on eligible travel & gas purchases in Canada for your first 3 months of Cardmembership (up to 15,000 points). Offers subject to change at any time
ANNUAL FREE NIGHT AWARD
Earn 5 points for every $1 in eligible Card purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties
Earn 2 points for every $1 in all other Card purchases
American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information and Terms and Conditions, click the Apply now link. Conditions Apply
- Priority airport services No
- Airport lounge access No
- Concierge service No
- Balance protection(Optional) No
- Purchase Security & Extended Protection Insurance NO
- Flight delay insurance,Baggage Insurance Yes
- Vehicule rental insurance Yes
- Travel accident insurance Yes
- Travel medical insurance Yes
- Annual Fee: $120
- Additional Card Fee: $0
- Purchases Interest Rate: 19.99%
- Cash Advance Interest Rate: 21.99%
- You're a Canadian resident
- You've reached the age of majority in your province or territory
Enjoy an automatic upgrade to Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status when you reach $30,000 in purchases charged to the Card each year5
Receive 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year with your Marriott BonvoyTMAmerican Express® Card. These can be used towards attaining the next level of Elite status in the Marriott Bonvoy program3
As the credit card’s name implies, spending on this card allows you to collect points towards the Marriott Bonvoy Rewards Program. This loyalty program allows you to redeem points on Marriott, Delta, Renaissance, Sheraton and Westin hotels, to name a few. Points can be used towards the base cost, taxes and fees. In addition, there are no restrictions or blackout dates, you can book whichever dates you want. Last, but definitely not least, this is the only Canadian credit card that earns Marriott Bonvoy points!
If you don’t want to use your points for a hotel room, you can transfer your points to an airline loyalty program. There are tons of participating airline programs, including Aeroplan. Receive a 15,000 point bonus from the Marriott BonvoyTM program when you transfer 60,000 points to a frequent flyer program. There are several other uses for the points you earn using this credit card, but the hotels and flights are where you’ll get the best value. Given how many options there are, you likely won’t be redeeming your points elsewhere!
Card holders earn five points for every dollar spent at a Marriott property and two points for every dollar spent elsewhere. You’ll also receive a welcome bonus of 70,000 points once you spend $1,500 in the first 3 months of card ownership. Finally, card holders receive fifteen Elite Night credits every calendar year, Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status when you spend $30,000 on your credit card in a year, guaranteed in-room internet and basic travel insurance. All of these benefits come with a $120 annual fee.
Unlike most AMEX credit cards, this one is not a charge card. That means that the credit card’s balance can revolve from month to month without additional repercussions. If you don’t pay your full credit card balance every month, not having a charge card is ideal. In addition, there are no income requirements aside from paying the annual fee. On the contrary, the only pitfall is that American Express isn’t as widely accepted as Visa or Mastercard. This can be challenging when travelling or even using your credit card on a day to day basis.
Overall, the American Express Marriott Bonvoy Card is one of Canada’s finest credit cards. The versatility of the credit card allows you to use your points towards hotels and flights which truly is the best of both worlds. If you’re an avid traveler, this may be the credit card of your dreams!
§The Marriott Bonvoy program is operated by or on behalf of Marriott International, Inc. and is subject to terms, conditions and restrictions. For details, please see www.marriottbonvoy.com/terms
- This offer is only available to new Marriott Bonvoy American Express Cardmembers (‘Cardmembers’). For current or former Marriott Bonvoy American Express Cardmembers or Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the welcome bonus. Account must be in good standing. To qualify for the 50,000 Bonus points, you must have at least $1500 in net purchases posted to your account on or before your three month anniversary date. Funds advances, interest, balance transfers, Amex cheques, annual fees (if applicable), other fees, and charges for travellers cheques and foreign currencies are not purchases and do not qualify for eligible purchases. Three nights are based on a standard room at a Category 2 property. Points required for a free night range from 7,500 points for any night in a standard room at a Category 1 property to up to 100,000 points for a night in a standard room at Category 8 properties. Category 8 properties that are all suites or villas require higher points redemption. For complete information on reward stays or the number of points required for a stay, please see www.marriott.com. Subject to Change. Marriott may change the Category in which a specific Marriott participating hotel is classified at any time. The amount of points required to obtain rooms at Marriott participating hotels varies by category of the Marriott participating hotel and may also vary by time of year. Please allow up to 8 weeks after earning your points for your account to be updated. Offer subject to change at any time.
- Account must be in good standing. You will earn five (5) Marriott Bonvoy points from American Express for every $1 of eligible purchases (less credits and returns) charged on your Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card when charged directly with participating Marriott Bonvoy properties, standalone Marriott Bonvoy retail establishments, and Marriott branded online stores (including online purchases of Marriott Bonvoy gift cards), that in each case, are owned or managed by Marriott International, Inc. and its affiliates. Merchants are typically assigned codes and categorized based on what they sell. Earn rate of two (2) points for every $1 applies when the merchant code is not in an eligible category, using a payment account or service of a third party, a card reader attached to a mobile phone or online retailer that sells goods of other merchants or the merchant category is otherwise not identified. Points will be earned on the amount of all eligible purchases, less credits and returns. Funds advances, interest, balance transfers, Amex cheques, annual fees (if applicable), other fees, and charges for travelers cheques and foreign currencies are not purchases and do not qualify for points.
- To be eligible to receive the 15 Elite Night Credits with this Card, you must be the Basic Cardmember, your Card Account must be in good standing at the time of the 15 Elite Night Credit deposit, and you must have an active Marriott Bonvoy program account. To receive the 15 Elite Night Credit deposit, your Card Account must be linked to a Marriott Bonvoy program account in your name. You will receive a maximum of 15 Elite Night Credits per calendar year even if you have more than one Marriott Bonvoy Consumer or Small Business credit card account or have more than one Marriott Bonvoy program account. American Express is not responsible for fulfillment of this benefit. It will take approximately 8 weeks from Card Account approval date for the credits to be applied to your loyalty account.
- Each year, 8-10 weeks after your annual reset date, you will earn an Annual Free Night Award redeemable within 1 year from issuing for an available single or double occupancy standard room at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties with a room rate of up to 35,000 points, inclusive of room rate and applicable taxes but exclusive of resort fee. Account must be in good standing. To view the full terms and conditions, visit www.marriottbonvoy.com/terms.
- Each year if, before the annual reset date, you reach $30,000 in net purchases charged to your account you will earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status in the Marriott Bonvoy program for a minimum of 1 year (unless you are already enrolled at that or a higher level). Account must be in good standing. On the annual reset date, the amount of annual net purchases resets to zero. Subject to terms and conditions at www.marriottbonvoy.com/terms. If you already have Gold Elite status or higher status in the Marriott Bonvoy program, you will retain that status as long as you meet the requirements specified in the Marriott Bonvoy terms and conditions.
- Free night awards apply to standard rooms only as defined by each participating property; contact the property before booking to check availability. To view the full terms and conditions, visit www.marriottbonvoy.com/terms.
- All references to you means the Basic Cardmember.
- Transfer ratios, minimum requirements, and maximums, vary by airline. To view the full terms and conditions, visit www.marriottbonvoy.com/terms.
- 15,000 points bonus is awarded only when 60,000 points are transferred as part of the same transaction and is based on airlines with a 3 point to 1 mile conversion rate. Other terms and restrictions apply. To view the full terms and conditions, visit www.marriottbonvoy.com/terms.
- Account must be in good standing. An additional card is a supplementary card. No annual fee for supplementary cards. Supplementary Cardmembers must be at least 13 years old. Maximum of 9 supplementary cards per account.
- All the services associated with Travel Emergency Assistance are provided worldwide with the exception of some countries (it is best to check with Customer Service).
- Travel Accident Insurance provides automatic coverage of up to $500,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance when you fully charge your common carrier (plane, train, ship or bus) tickets to your Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card. Use the Card to book tickets for your spouse, dependent children (under 23) or any Supplementary Cardmember and they will also be covered. Spouse and dependent children (under 23) of Supplementary Cardmembers are also covered. Travel Accident Insurance is underwritten by Chubb Life Insurance Company of Canada, Head Office in Canada: Toronto, Ontario, under Master Policy TMH600135.
- Underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada. Coverage is in effect as long as you have fully charged your rental to your Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card. There are specific conditions that apply to who may rent and drive the rental vehicle, the length of rental(s) and the type of vehicle covered.
- Underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada.
- Purchase must be charged in full to an American Express Card. Subject to availability and to event and ticketing agent terms, conditions and fees. Not all seats are available. All sales are final. No refunds. No exchanges.
- Subject to capacity. Admittance granted with an American Express Card. Beverages will be for purchase. Must be 19 years of age or older to have alcohol and must have a valid ID. Please drink responsibly.
- When you charge the full price on eligible purchases to your Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card, the coverage given under the manufacturer’s original warranty is automatically doubled for up to one additional year. Buyer’s Assurance Protection Plan is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada. Certain limitation, exclusions and restrictions apply. Please read the terms & conditions carefully.
- Underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada. Coverage is in excess of any and all other applicable insurance.
- Fraud Protection Guarantee - Use the American Express Card online or off, and you won’t be held responsible for any fraudulent charges, as long as you’ve taken reasonable care to protect your account details and PIN. Notify us at once if your Card is lost or stolen, or you suspect it is being used without your permission.
- Your account must be in good standing. If this is a personal or family referral, you agree to only make recommendations to known friends and family members with whom you have a relationship and who have confirmed to you that they want to receive this communication. If this is a referral in the context of your business, you agree to only make recommendations to business contacts whom you know and have consented to receive this recommendation from you. You must not send recommendations to people you do not know. Whenever you reach out to a potential referral, you will only use content we provide. Any additional statements you make cannot be inconsistent with our content and must be truthful, accurate and not misleading. You should not publish or distribute your referral link in locations where the audience is likely to include individuals with whom you do not have a business, personal or family relationship or who may not be interested in the offer. You can only receive a maximum referral bonus of 150,000 Marriott BonvoyTM points per calendar year for approved referrals, which includes eligible referral bonus amounts from both (i) special or limited time referral offers and (ii) regular referral offers in that same calendar year. Referral bonus for each approved referral and maximum annual referral bonus limit may change at any time and if you change card products. Should the referral bonus amount change during the calendar year, you may receive a partial bonus depending on the available maximum bonus points. You are not eligible to receive this referral bonus offer if you have already reached your maximum annual referral bonus limit. The referral bonus will be awarded to you based on each eligible referral for which American Express receives an application that is subsequently approved, subject to all applicable terms and conditions. Your referral bonus will be awarded in the calendar year in which the eligible referral application is approved and not when the referral application is received. Due to the confidential nature of the approval process, you will not be notified when applications are approved or declined and any individual you have referred must agree to allow your account to be bonused upon approval or you will not receive the referral bonus. If our records indicate that any person you have referred has opted not to receive e-mails from us, your referral will not be sent and you will not receive the referral bonus offered as part of this program. Referral program varies by product and may be modified, suspended, cancelled or otherwise terminated without notice. Cannot be combined with any other offer. If the people that you refer have already applied for the product that you are referring without participating in this program, neither you nor they will be eligible for any referral bonus that may be offered as part of this program. Likewise, if the people you refer decide to apply for a Card through this referral program other than the one you have specifically recommended, the referral bonus for which you and they may be eligible will vary. You will only use the delivery methods we provide. By participating in the referral program, you are requesting that emails be sent on your behalf to individuals with whom you have a business, personal or family relationship. Any violation or abuse of this referral program including, sending emails to individuals with whom you have no business, personal or family relationship, efforts to bypass, manipulate, obscure or otherwise modify the delivery and accurate presentation of the referral link, sharing tools, content, disclosures, instructions or other materials we provide will be considered a breach of these Terms and make you ineligible for any referral bonus and/or result in your termination from the program. Referral program participants should allow 8 to 10 weeks for the award of the referral bonus once program criteria have been met and must be enrolled in the corresponding loyalty program (if applicable) when the referral bonus is awarded. American Express reserves the right to limit, cancel, or revoke a referral or welcome bonus if it determines, in its sole discretion, you have violated these Terms. Please note there may be other offers available for this Card on americanexpress.ca where spend requirements or welcome bonus amounts may differ. All products and services are subject to applicable Terms and Conditions
† All insurance coverage is subject to the terms and conditions of the respective master policies. Certain limitations, exclusions and restrictions apply. Please read your Certificates of Insurance carefully.
®: Used by Amex Bank of Canada under license from American Express.
TM: 2019 Marriott International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. All names, marks and logos are the trademarks of Marriott International, Inc., or its affiliates, unless otherwise noted.