Table of Contents
If you landed on this page, you may have searched on Google for GST payments 2024. My Rate Compass will save you time as we’ve outlined the important dates you should know.
GST Payments 2024: GST/HST Credit Overview:
GST/HST Credit Overview
What is the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit?
The goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit is a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals and families with low and modest incomes offset all or part of the GST or HST that they pay. It may also include payments from provincial and territorial programs.
Who is eligible for the GST/HST credit?
You are generally eligible for the GST/HST credit if you are considered a Canadian resident for income tax purposes the month before and at the beginning of the month are the GST Payment 2024 dates in which the Canada Revenue Agency makes payments.
You also need to meet one of the following criteria:
- you are at least 19 years old
- you have (or had) a spouse or common-law partner
- you are (or were) a parent and live (or lived) with your child
- Parents in a shared custody situation may be eligible for half of the GST/HST credit for that child. This also applies to any related provincial and territorial credit. Go to Custody arrangements and your benefits for more information.
If, however, a child welfare agency is legally, physically, or financially responsible for a child, you are not generally eligible for the GST/HST credit for that child.
GST/HST Payment Dates 2024
Below are the GST Payment 2024 dates when Canada
Revenue Agency will pay credits this year.
- January 5, 2024
- April 5, 2024
- July 5, 2024
- October 4, 2024
How to apply for the GST/HST credit?
Actually, you do not have to apply for it. The CRA will determine when you file your taxes if you are eligible to receive the GST/HST credit each year, even if you have no income to report.
New Canadian residents
New residents of Canada have 2 options to apply for the GST/HST credit:
- If you have children: Complete and sign Form RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application
- If you do not have children: Complete and sign Form RC151, GST/HST Credit Application for Individuals Who Become Residents of Canada
How to Claim the GST/HST credit for your child?
If you applied for the Canada child benefit (CCB) you might already be receiving the child portion of the GST/HST credit.
In case your child has not been register yet you will need to register manually following the steps below:
- Complete and sign Form RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application.
- Mail the completed form to your tax centre.
How much GST/HST credit will you get?
In order to determine the amount, please use the Canada Revenue Agency calculator to estimate your GST/HST credit.
Family income level maximum for GST/HST credit
If your family net income amount is equal to or exceeds the amount indicated in the table below, you will not be entitled to a GST/HST credit payment.
Adjusted family net income
Single parent with one child
Single parent with two children
Single parent with three children
Single parent with four children
Married/common-law couple with no children
Married/common-law couple with one child
Married/common-law couple with two children
Married/common-law couple with three children
Married/common-law couple with four children